Senior Technician – Workshop Manager Job Description
We are looking for experienced individuals with a proactive attitude, who can work with the team to modify vehicles to ensure suitability for autonomous driving. As part of a small team, you will be responsible for managing the day-to-day running of our workshop (ordering parts, assisting with risk assessments and maintaining company standards) as well as completing electrical and mechanical technician tasks (fabricating brackets, making wiring harnesses, fitting components) on vehicles ranging from autonomous pods to forklift trucks, passenger cars and more. We seek applicants who understand what it takes to integrate electrical/electronic and mechanical systems together and validate their performance on autonomous vehicles. It would also be expected that management of our workshop would be a primary aspect of this role.
- Management of all aspects and daily activities within the workshop
- Support the design and testing of electrical/electronic and/or mechanical subsystems for a range of autonomous platforms across multiple domains.
- To work closely with our development and applications team to understand interface requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that electronic/electrical and/or mechanical subsystems from our diverse partners meet our exacting requirements.
- Specification, design, selection, and testing of vehicle electrical schematics, harnesses, electronic systems, associated components, mechanical parts, and or mechanical systems.
- Manufacturing prototype harnesses
- Interaction with suppliers of electrical and electronic components
- Supporting ambitious field trials and data collection exercises in outdoor settings. This involves travel to test sites and industrial partners.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
Essential Skills / Experience
- Maintenance of workshop facilities to ensure their effective operation
- Manufacture and fabrication of prototype mechanical parts
- Manufacture and build of prototype electrical vehicle harnesses (soldering / crimping etc.)
- Knowledge of rapid prototype manufacturing methods
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Experience working in an automotive prototype development workshop
- Experience working with CAD software for design of electrical and mechanical parts would be beneficial
- Qualified and experienced C/C1 driver