Autonomous Vehicle Mechanical Engineer Job Description
We are looking for an energetic engineer with practical automotive mechanical experience to support our vehicle integration work and the deployment of our technology into multiple vehicle platforms – which range from pods to forklifts to cars to trucks and more. We are looking for experienced individuals who understand what it takes to design, build, and test prototype parts and whole systems and validate their performance. It would also be desirable that in this role, workshop management could be supported.
- Lead the design of new and modified mechanical parts and systems for a range of autonomous platforms across multiple domains.
- To work closely with our development and applications team to understand requirements.
- Responsible for ensuring that mechanical parts and systems from our diverse partners meet our exacting requirements.
- Testing of mechanical parts and vehicles.
- Prototype part modification and manuacturing
- Liaison with vehicle OEMs for component design and specification
- Interaction with suppliers and prototype part manufacturers
- Supporting ambitious field trials and data collection exercises in outdoor settings. This involves travel to test sites and industrial partners.
Qualifications, Training and Experience
- Degree in Mechanical or Automotive Engineering, or similar
- Experience with whole vehicle design and build
- Experience working with prototype test vehicles
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping methods
- Proficient in use of 2D and 3D CAD for component design
- Knowledge of CAE for structural design
- Experience working with electric vehicles
- Responsibility for managing all aspects and daily activities within the workshop
- Maintenance of workshop facilities to ensure their effective operation
- Experience within automotive and / or robotics industry
- Experience working in a workshop environment, and familiar with risk assessment and safety case
Interested? Please apply by telling us how you’d fit, plus a bit about your background & experience and why we would be nuts not to hire you: firstname.lastname@example.org